The warmer weather and longer days of summer get us outside and enjoying our patios and landscaping. And outdoor fireplaces draw us into community even further with our family and neighbors, encouraging us to enjoy the company with others as we eat, drink, and enjoy being outside.
We get a lot of questions regarding outdoor fireplaces and the experts here at Mr. Smokestack are here to answer those questions, so you can continue to enjoy the exterior features of your home.
Do Outdoor Fireplaces Give Off Good Heat?
Whether you are enjoying fire inside or outside, it always gives off a solid amount of heat. In fact, the heat is in large part why we like to gather around it! It provides a warm and inviting atmosphere that is enjoyable, no matter the season.
What Are the Benefits of Having an Outdoor Fireplace?
There are several benefits to having an outdoor fireplace. In addition to giving off heat and warmth on cool summer nights, they also create ambience by casting a warm and flickering glow – that has been proven to relax those who watch the flames.
Cooking over the outdoor flames provides enjoyment, as well. Whether roasting hotdogs, making s’mores, or creating other culinary masterpieces, your outdoor fireplace provides a great place to make a delicious meal.
An often overlooked advantage to outdoor fireplaces is the financial value one can add to a home. It can add an attractive feature to your outdoor landscaping, and when constructed correctly, it can last for many years to come.
What Types of Outdoor Fireplaces Are Available?
There are a number of different kinds of outdoor fireplaces that can offer a variety of advantages to your outdoor space. Some of these include:
- Wood-burning fireplaces: These fireplaces provide a place to contain the traditional wood-burning fire. They often don’t take up a lot of room and can even be moved around to fit your needs.
- Gas fireplaces: These fireplaces run on natural gas or propane They provide convenience and easy control of the flame. The heat output can be controlled and flames burn cleaner, which limits the amount of cleanup after each use. It also means the fireplace itself can be made out of different materials that add to the landscape – and even match other architectural features of the home.
- Electric fireplaces: These fireplaces are powered by electricity and offer a hassle-free option without the need for fuel or ventilation. They can be a little more expensive to install, but provide a low amount of maintenance and lower costs in fuel.
- Ethanol fireplaces: These fireplaces use bioethanol fuel and provide a clean-burning flame without the need for a chimney or gas line. They are clean, odorless, and easy to start and stop.
What Materials Are Commonly Used to Build Outdoor Fireplaces?
Depending on the type of outdoor fireplace you have, they can be constructed out of many different materials. Some of the most common materials include:
- Stone: Natural stone, such as granite or limestone, is a popular choice for enhanced durability and aesthetic appeal.
- Masonry: Brick is a classic option that provides a timeless look and can withstand high temperatures, all while remaining attractive, durable, and inexpensive.
- Concrete: Concrete is a versatile material that can be molded into various shapes and finishes, offering both durability and design flexibility. However, once in place it can be difficult to move.
Do Outdoor Fireplaces Require a Chimney?
Outdoor fireplaces do not necessarily require a chimney. It depends on the type of fireplace you have and the way in which it was constructed. For example, a wood-burning outdoor fireplace might have a chimney built in to properly vent smoke and gases. For the most part, however, outdoor fireplaces, especially gas or electric models, don’t require a chimney as they produce little to no smoke.
Can You Cook Food on an Outdoor Fireplace?
For many people, the ability to cook over an outdoor flame is their favorite feature of their outdoor fireplace. In fact, grill grates, and even stone ovens, can be built into the design of the fireplace which makes it possible to cook over the fire.
Are There Any Regulations or Permits Required for Installing an Outdoor Fireplace?
Depending on where you live, laws, guidelines, regulations, and permits might vary. It’s important that you know what is required in your specific area. You can almost always find information regarding your local laws online.
There are many things to consider in this area, including fireplace construction, clearances from surrounding structures, and even what fuel is used for the fire. Each variable may be unique to your specific neighborhood or community. For instance, here in Raleigh you can’t burn garbage in your fireplace. Also, any portable outdoor fireplace must be at least 15 feet from structures or combustible materials. Please check your local laws and ordinances, and give us a call at Mr. Smokestack, so we can help you as you navigate this area.
How Much Does It Cost to Install an Outdoor Fireplace?
The cost of installing an outdoor fireplace depends on a variety of factors. Its size, function, building material, hardware, and location are just a few of the things that need to be considered when estimating outdoor fireplace installation. We’d be happy to help with this as we work with you to install the fireplace of your dreams – all while staying within your budget.
Let’s Get Started – Call Today
Call us today at 919-747-1859 or reach out online, and let us help you design the perfect outdoor fireplace for your home.