Has your dryer been taking an unusually long time to dry your clothes, lately? If you’re finding yourself forced to run cycle after cycle, don’t go out and buy a whole new appliance just yet. Instead, consider investing in an affordable dryer vent cleaning!
Like with chimney inspections, dryer vent cleanings are something homeowners should be scheduling annually. Yet, because dryer vents tend to be hidden away and out of sight, many simply forget they’re even there, let alone need maintenance.
Unfortunately, failing to invest in this maintenance can lead to inefficiency, as well as some dangerous scenarios for those living within the household.
Looking to gain more knowledge on the dangers of dirty dryer vents? Read below, then give us a call with any questions. We’re here, and we’d be happy to help you out!
Preventing Dryer Fires
Now, a big problem with clogged up vents is the increased likelihood of experiencing a dryer fire. In fact, lint buildup is the leading cause of dryer fires in the country, resulting in multiple deaths, countless injuries, and millions of dollars in property damage every single year.
Dryer lint is highly combustible. Pairing that with a clogged and overheated dryer is just asking for a disaster. If you’re concerned about your vents, give us a call right away! We have the experience, training, and equipment to ensure things get taken care of appropriately.
Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Exposure
Another big concern with clogged up dryer vents is the increased risk of carbon monoxide exposure. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that has some serious health effects for those that inhale it. It often leaves people hospitalized and it can even lead to death. Unfortunately, because it’s so hard to detect, noting its presence can seem next to impossible.
Needless to say, preventing carbon monoxide from entering your home is a must. Unfortunately, clogged dryer vents increase your risk of exposure significantly as fumes won’t have a clear pathway out of the home.
Annual dryer vent cleanings play a big part in reducing the risk of exposure. You’ll also want to invest in carbon monoxide detectors for your home. These devices save countless lives and are often the only warning sign that the poisonous gas is present!
Do You Know the Signs of a Clogged Dryer Vent?
So how can you know if your dryer vents need some professional care? Well, first things first, try to recall the last time you have your vents cleaned. If it has been over a year, then you’ll definitely want to have a professional in to check things over.
If you’re not sure where you stand, note these common signs that indicate your vents are clogged up.
- It takes multiple cycles to dry your clothes. If you’re running cycle after cycle to get one load of laundry dry, then it may not be the appliance to blame. This is a clear indicator that your vents are clogged up! Not only does this add time to your daily to-do list, but it also puts more wear and tear on your appliance. In the end, your energy bills will go up, and you’ll likely need to replace your system sooner than expected because of all the extra use.
- Your dryer is hot to the touch after running a load. If your dryer has just finished drying a load, and you notice it seems unusually hot, then your vents may be clogged up and causing things to overheat.
- Your laundry room temps are higher than normal. Like with your dryer, the heat in your laundry room may rise when the appliance can’t vent and thus overheats. If this space seems warmer and muggier than normal, those alarm bells in your head should be going off.
- You notice strange odors. With an overheated appliance comes abnormal odors. You might notice your dryer gives off a burning smell, or it may just smell mustier or hotter than normal. Whatever the case, getting a pro in to investigate will be in your best interests.
- You’re finding lint and debris outside of the dryer vent. If things are building up too much, then you’ll notice lint outside of your dryer and the vent. This definitely means something is amiss, and it’s probably best to have things cleaned out before putting your dryer through too much more use.
Why Trust Us?
Here at Mr. Smokestack, we have over 15 years of experience serving communities in and around Raleigh. We’ve made a commitment to treat our customers well and with respect, and we always put the safety of the families we serve first and foremost.
We’re also highly educated. We’re certified with Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), and we’re members of both the National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
In the end, you won’t find a team that’s more dedicated to bringing you the highest level of care possible.
Ready to work with our crew? Give us a call! We’re here to help with it all.